SME is built as an open modular platform. All the functionality is available via the SME API and major components have hook points to integrate external system .e.g authentication , a new storage provider, payment gateway etc.
Details of the SME API can be found at:https://storagemadeeasy.com/for_developers/Protocol Adaptors
At the top of the SME Architecture diagram are protocol adapters The allow to access your data using multiple protocols from any supported storage provider.
Out of the box SME supports:
Provider Sync Engine
- REST/XML and REST/JSON: SME proprietary API. This is used by all the SME tools, is fully documented and can be used to develop custom applications.
- WebDav/HTTPS: Standard WebDav is protocol especially useful for iOS apps (Pages, Keynote, Numbers) that support WebDav
- FTP/FTPS: Standard FTP and FTP Secure protocol
The provider Sync Engine s used to discover new data added to the provider outside of SME. Can run in realtime, scheduled and manual mode.
Multi-Site Backup Engine
- Real-time: new data is checked every time storage provider is accessed. For optimum performance only relevant subset of data is checked for new data.
- Scheduled: storage provider is accessed at schedule interval.
- Manual: Administrator initiates a sync
Used to backup files updated via SME platform to another storage provider for disaster recovery and availability.Access Control Module
The ACL module is responsible for applying permissions. Every operation is verified by the access control module to ascertain that the user has permission to perform the operationAudit Manager
The Audit module is used by all components to generate audit records for all file interactions. The granularity of this can be controlled at a per Organization level.Encryption Engine
The Encryption engine s used to encrypt data before sending to a remote cloud provider. It uses 256 bit encryption to encrypt data at rest. Further details on how this works and security can be referenced in the SME Security white paper.Payment Gateway
The Payment Gateway enables Integration with external billing system and supports PayPal and Sage.
Custom payment gateways can also be integrated.Storage Connectors
SME supports more that 40 cloud storage providers including Amazon S3, OpenStack, MS Azure, Google Storage, WebDav and FTP.
Additional providers can be easily developed using a storage providers native APIProtocol Adaptors
The protocol adaptors are the front end adaptors that are additional to the SME API. They enable access from a compatible S3 API, FTP/S, or Secure WebDav.